D1-4 - Dexter Press - Who is the driver?

31 August 2006



This "Dexter Press" American postcard from my collection has a small pin hole through one of the people in the boats. It is not some kind of voodoo, but shows which person the note on the back refers to when you hold the card up to the light. As you can see, the note says "my husband sitting on the launch he drives". I don't know who wrote the message or who the husband is. If you know, please put a comment on this Blog.

I'm not sure what year this photograph was taken, but there are other cards in the same series which might help to date it. One shows teacher Russell Henry outside the Pitcairn school with his pupils, another shows Fred and Parkin Christian and says they are both 85 years old. Yet another shows a group of Islanders with their handicrafts and states that in 1970 the population was 90.

1 comment

  1. The following comment is being posted for Wilfred Bloom (15th November 2006)

    Hi David -
    If I remember correctly, that was one of a group of 5 postcards which you won on my eBay sale a year or two ago - am I correct?

    I know this because it was part of a small Pitcairn collection I purchased in 1972 from the pen-pal of the late MRS EVELYN CHRISTIAN (nee TOTENHOFER). Her husband was the Pitcairn dentist, the late ELWYN CHRISTIAN - he is the one circled in the postcard. These Dexter Press postcards probably date from the late 60s or early 70s, I believe.

    Evelyn Christian was Pitcairn's first resident nurse; she arrived on 9 April 1944, and married Elwyn some time later.

    Cheers!

    Wilfred

    ReplyDelete


Powered by Blogger.